Board of Directors Conference Call January 28, 2002

Opening

The meeting was called to order at 1:06 p.m. (EST) on Monday, January 28, 2002, by President Steven Warren.

Attendance

Members present—Steven F. Warren, president; Ruth A Luckasson, president-elect; Ann P. Turnbull, vice president; Joanna L. Pierson, secretary/treasurer; Cathy Ficker Terrill, past president; David L. Coulter; Gail Davis; Sharon C. Gomez; Stanley D. Handmaker; Sr. Kathryn Jennings; Genevieve D. Pugh; Alison Alya Reeve; David A. Rotholz; Marsha M. Seltzer; Martha E. Snell; Mark Yeager. Members absent: Hank Bersani, Jr.; Brian Clukey; Neil J. Ross; Patricia G. Williams. National staff present: M. Doreen Croser, Maria A. Alfaro, Bruce Appelgren.

M/S/P (M. Yeager, M. Snell): To accept the minutes of the Board of Directors meeting on December 1–2, 2001, with these changes to the New Definition of Mental Retardation and 2002 Terminology and Classification Report, that the SNIS product “can implement” as opposed to “implements” and adding, “Ruth Luckasson provided a summary of the definition.”

Reports

President: Steven Warren reported that the Consortium on Language, Image, and Public Education will develop a press kit, distribute its research report, distribute a final report, and hold a final meeting before disbanding next autumn.

President-Elect: R. Luckasson discussed the Orlando convention. Some of the preliminary material is now on the website. A written copy of the preliminary program will be mailed soon. The Academy program will be in the preliminary program that is mailed. She updated the Atkins case, which involves the death penalty and will be heard by the Supreme Court on February 20. The AAMR already has a plan in place for handling responses to calls from the media about this case. Former AAMR President Jim Ellis will be arguing the case. The completed manuscript for Terminology and Classification was sent in mid-January to D. Croser as planned. The document is currently being edited, ad campaign materials are being developed, and the committee is starting to develop the related workbook.

Vice President: A. Turnbull reported on the updated Strategic Plan, modified based on input from the Board. Objectives and actions that are already accomplished have been removed. She reviewed the objectives and noted changes. There was discussion about the changes and the desire of many to shorten the timeframe for the name change. D. Croser will explore the options for completing the vote on the name change before September 2003. A. Turnbull will distribute the revised dates by the beginning of April.

M/S/P (S. Handmaker, M. Seltzer): To adopt the strategic plan with changes to some of the dates as will be noted in the revised plan to be distributed by Ann Turnbull.

Past President: Cathy Ficker Terrill recommended that Board members and others in AAMR update their wills to make a donation to the Association. She reported that the joint policy statements with The Arc are virtually completed, with an editor completing a final look through for style changes. There are over 20 issues addressed in these statements.

Executive Director: D. Croser reported on a letter from a member who is displeased with the ballot in the last election. It was decided that Cathy Ficker Terrill, as Chair of the Nominations and Elections Committee will respond and provide him a chance to air his opinion at the next meeting of this committee. If the committee then desires revisions, they will submit this to the Board. It was agreed that Sister Kathryn Jennings will be the AAMR spokesperson to media contacts related to the movie “I am Sam.” The need to suggest that the media be given names of both researchers and practitioners who can discuss knowledgeably the issues for parents who have mental retardation was discussed. Any experts' names should be sent to D. Croser. The Book Publishing Program Business Plan was reviewed.

M/S/P (J. Pierson, M. Seltzer): To approve the Book Publishing Program Business Plan including the costs associated with it.

Assembly of Regions: M. Yeager reported that N. Kirchner and he are working on Leadership Institutes, part of the Strategic Plan for the Association.

Conference of Divisions: D. Rotholz reported that the revised version of the Conference Leadership Manual will be on the website within 30 days. He also is encouraging Divisions and SIGs to update their web pages.

Other Board Issues and Action Items

National Joint Committee–Communications Needs Report

This document will be placed on the AAMR website.

M/S/P (M. Snell, D. Coulter): To endorse the National Joint Committee for the Communication Needs of Persons With Severe Disabilities position statement and report.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2:10 p.m. (EST).

Respectfully submitted,Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMRSecretary/Treasurer

Board Of Directors Executive Committee Conference Call February 25, 2002

Opening

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 1:02 p.m. (EST) on February 25, 2002, by President Steven Warren.

Attendance

Members present—Steven F. Warren, president; Ruth A. Luckasson, president-elect; Joanna L. Pierson, secretary/treasurer; David A. Rotholz; Mark Yeager. Members absent—Ann P. Turnbull, vice president; Cathy Ficker Terrill, past president. National Staff Present: M. Doreen Croser.

Reports

President: S. Warren reported that all members of the Inter-Association Human Genome Study Committee have approved a preliminary prospectus. He is now attempting to raise money to fund this effort. There was discussion of the National Academy of Science Report on Disability Determination for Mental Retardation. This report was commissioned by the Social Security Administration. The information is used for program eligibility, whereas the AAMR Terminology and Classification Manual is used for diagnosis. R. Luckasson commented that it confirms the three main components of the AAMR definition and the other sections are clearly compatible. AAMR's status as a leader in the definition of the term mental retardation suggests that the Association should endorse this report quickly and publicly. R. Luckasson will review the report and make a recommendation to the Executive Committee. This endorsement will be voted on by the Board at the May conference call with a letter to follow immediately after to the Social Security Administration. A copy of the Executive Summary of the report will be circulated as part of this process.

Ad-hoc Committee on the Future of the Convention. A meeting was held last week. Members will meet again in April and present a report with recommendations to the Board by early fall.

There will be a national conference on the state of research in mental retardation next winter in Washington, DC. It is an effort initiated by Charlie Lakin, Chair of The Arc Research Committee, and will be focused on the priority goals for research in the field.

The Association name change will be presented to the Board for endorsement at the March conference call.

M/S/P (R. Luckasson, D. Rotholz): That the name of the American Association on Mental Retardation be changed and that the proposed name is the American Association on Intellectual Disabilities.

M/S/P (R. Luckasson, J. Pierson): That the Association encourages the use of alternative terms to mental retardation but acknowledges that the term mental retardation will continue to have relevance in the diagnostic, legal, and public policy arenas.

President-Elect: R. Luckasson noted that the Orlando Conference preliminary program and registration form are on the website. The U.S. Supreme Court heard the Atkins case on the death penalty opening arguments last Tuesday. Both D. Croser and R. Luckasson have spoken to reporters about the case. D. Croser will send the Board copies of The New York Times articles related to this case.

Executive Director: D. Croser reported that the audit begins in 10 days. The deficit will be significant, in part, due to the fact that the AAMR investment portfolio has not done well since the stock market has fallen this past year. The membership total for the year is over 7,000 but still lower than last year.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 1:42 p.m. (EST).

Respectfully submitted,Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMRSecretary/Treasurer

Board of Directors Conference Call, March 25, 2002

Opening

The meeting was called to order at 1:08 p.m. (EST) on Monday, March 25, 2002, by President Steven Warren.

Attendance

Members present—Steven F. Warren, president; Ruth A Luckasson, president-elect; Ann P. Turnbull, vice president; Joanna L. Pierson, secretary/treasurer; Cathy Ficker Terrill, past president; David L. Coulter.; Sharon C. Gomez; Stanley D. Handmaker: Sr. Kathryn Jennings; Genevieve D. Pugh; Alison Alya Reeve.; David A. Rotholz; Marsha M. Seltzer; Martha E. Snell; Patricia G. Williams; Mark H. Yeager; Gail Davis (late in joining call); Member absent—Hank Bersani, Jr. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Maria A. Alfaro. Guests/Advisors—Neil J. Ross, Brian Clukey, Yves Lachapelle.

M/S/P (C. Ficker Terrill, A. Reeve): To accept the minutes of the Board of Directors conference call on January 28, 2002.

M/S/P (A. Turnbull, D. Rotholz): To accept the minutes of the Executive Committee conference call on February 25, 2002.

Officers' Reports

President: S. Warren led a discussion on the proposed name change that came from the Executive Committee. The Board was sent information from the Executive Committee discussion along with a paper by R. Schalock. Because of the close relationship between the two organizations, there was a conference call with The Arc leadership to discuss the proposed name change. They had no major objections. There was discussion by the Board about the proposed change. This change suggests that the Association would only use the term mental retardation in situations when it is the only term clearly understood. Otherwise, different terms can be used; the Association's name would include the term intellectual disabilities.

M/S/P (R. Luckasson, P. Williams): To recommend to the membership that the Association's name be changed to the American Association on Intellectual Disabilities (AAID).

M/S/P (R. Luckasson, A. Reeve): That the Association encourages the use of alternative terms to mental retardation but acknowledges that the term mental retardation will continue to have relevance in the diagnostic, legal, and public policy arenas.

The name change will be submitted to both the Assembly of Regions and the Conference of Divisions for debate and vote at the Orlando conference. The name change motion would require a two thirds vote against the name change for it to be defeated. If not defeated, then the name change will go to the membership for a vote. The Board's motion should now be discussed with others in the Association. It was recommended that Steven Warren's memorandum be utilized to initiate discussion on this issue.

There was a question about AAMR's publications and concurrence that this will be decided as implementation of any name change occurs, rather than now, because the proposed name change still needs a membership vote.

President-Elect: R. Luckasson provided an update on the Orlando Convention. Everyone should have preliminary programs now. The final program is in process. The National Academy of Science Report, Disability Determination for Mental Retardation, was sent to Board members. The Executive Committee asked this be circulated for Board discussion at the May conference call. R. Luckasson is taking the lead in reviewing this document, which she thinks is excellent.

Past President: C. Ficker Terrill reminded Board members that the joint position statements with The Arc are currently being circulated for review. She is receiving comments. The Ad Hoc Committee on the Future of the Conference has met.

Executive Director: D. Croser reported that she sent the Board The New York Times article on the Atkins case currently before the U.S. Supreme Court. She reminded Board members that their annual reports to the Association are now due, that we should send in hotel reservation forms for the Orlando conference now, and that we should link RADAR to our own organization websites. There have been many contacts from the media in the past month. An “in memoriam” site will be on the web page soon. Regarding Career Connections, staff members have located software so that they can manage this in-house, resulting in this service continuing to be offered. The AAMR will have a new reading room on the web page; this is a good place to showcase information we think is useful to the field. Conference registrations are starting to come in. Staff are implementing the business plan for the publications program. Last year's deficit was as expected, partially due to the investment portfolio decreasing in value.

Assembly of Regions: M. Yeager recommends that S. Warren, D. Rotholz, and he develop a discussion guide for the name change.

Conference of Divisions: D. Rotholz said there will be an orientation of Division and SIG leaders regarding their roles and responsibilities at the beginning of the Orlando meeting. The Board will be asked to make a recommendation regarding the use of division funds.

Announcement

N. Ross reported that there will be a meeting of the European chapter of the international association IASSID in Dublin, Ireland, in June.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 1:56 p.m. (EST).

Respectfully submitted,Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMRSecretary/Treasurer

Executive Committee Conference Call, April 15, 2002

Opening

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 1:02 p.m. (EDT) on Monday, April 15, 2002, by President Steven Warren.

Attendance

Members present—Steven F. Warren, president; Ruth A Luckasson, president-elect; Ann P. Turnbull, vice president; Joanna L. Pierson, secretary/treasurer; David Rotholz, Conference of Divisions. Members absent—Mark Yeager, Assembly of Regions. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser.

Reports

President: S. Warren reviewed the steps that will occur on the name change since the Board of Directors approved the new name for the Association. The memorandum to the membership explaining the reasons for the new name has been completed. D. Rotholz has sent it to Division presidents and SIG chairs. It will be posted on the website, and M. Yeager will send it through the Assembly of Regions. The Conference and Assembly will debate and vote on the name change on Tuesday morning at the Orlando conference. R. Luckasson will present to the Assembly and Ann Turnbull will present to the Conference. Assuming no veto, there will be an article in News & Notes this summer. The ballot for the membership vote will be mailed in September. The Executive Committee will act as the implementation committee because this change relates to the core of Association values. June 1, 2003, will be when both the new structure and name will be fully implemented. There was a statement from The Arc that they are moving forward on terminology as well. S. Warren will contact PCMR to share what AAMR is doing.

President-Elect: R. Luckasson reported that everything is proceeding well for the Orlando convention. All Board members will receive a meeting schedule shortly.

Vice-President: Ann Turnbull reported that she is preparing for the strategic plan to be used as a basis for all annual reports to the Board next year.

Executive Director: D. Croser noted that the amount raised for AAMR by the Policy Forum this year was $5,987, slightly higher than last year. She presented a report on the dues increase that would take effect in 2003 based on two factors, the newly added $10 for each Division and Special Interest Group joined and the cost of living dues adjustment. She expressed concern that these two increases in one year might present a problem for members.

M/S/P (R. Luckasson, A. Turnbull): To postpone the cost of living increase for one year.

Business

Site Visit to National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities: S. Warren, D. Croser, and W. Nehring (Chair, Health Promotion and Prevention Committee) visited with Director Jose Cordero, MD, of this new center, which is part of the Centers for Disease Control. They are interested in collaborating on issues with AAMR. They will be implementing the Surgeon General's report on health disparities for people with mental retardation. Their first major conference will be September 17 through 19, 2002, in Atlanta.

Website: An “In Memoriam” section now exists. Information on any AAMR member who dies will be posted in this section for 6 months. There will continue to be an article in AJMR for any past president of AAMR. The website addition allows all members to be recognized.

Adjournment

The call was ended at 1:37 p.m. (EDT).

Respectfully submitted,Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMRSecretary/Treasurer