Board of Directors Conference Call May 13, 2002,

Opening

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 1:05 p.m. (EDT) on Monday, May 13, 2002, by President Steven Warren.

Attendance

Members present–Steven F. Warren, president; Ruth A Luckasson, president-elect; Joanna L. Pierson, secretary–treasurer; Hank Bersani, Jr.; David L. Coulter; Genevieve D. Pugh; David A. Rotholz; Martha E. Snell; Mark H. Yeager. Members absent—Ann P. Turnbull, vice president; Cathy Ficker Terrill, past president, Brian Clukey; Gail Davis; Sharon C. Gomez; Stanley D. Handmaker; Sr. Kathryn Jennings; Alison Alya Reeve; Marsha M. Seltzer; Patricia G. Williams. Guests/Advisors—Neil J. Ross, Yves Lachapelle. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Maria A. Alfaro.

M/S/P (H. Bersani, N. Ross): To accept the minutes of the Board of Directors conference call on March 25, 2002.

M/S/P (M. Snell, G. Pugh): To accept the minutes of the Executive Committee conference call on April 15, 2002.

Reports

President: S. Warren updated the Board on meetings that members need to attend in Orlando, including the Open Board meeting scheduled for Friday at8:00 a.m. The memo on the proposed name change is on the website. The name change will be discussed in Orlando. The Executive Committee will serve as the implementation committee for the name change.

President-Elect: R. Luckasson talked about the Conference. The final program is on the website. Her draft response on The National Academy of Science Report, Disability Determination for Mental Retardation, was sent to Board members. Any comments on this should be sent to her, which will enable the Board to endorse this report at the next meeting.

Secretary–Treasurer: J. Pierson reported that the Finance Committee, after talking about ways for the Association to raise additional revenues, recommends that the leadership discuss methods to encourage members to include AAMR in grant proposals, training, and written materials to generate increased income. Committee members discussed focusing on targeted issue campaigns along with pursuing donations from relevant corporations rather than expecting significant donations from individual members.

M/S/P (J. Pierson, D. Rotholz): That the Association establish a Capital Replacement and Technology Enhancement Fund by designating $10,000 from current reserves. The Association will continue to build the fund until it reaches the targeted amount of $100,000.

M/S/P (J. Pierson, H. Bersani): That AAMR publish Canadian currency rates along with United States currency rates.

M/S/P (J. Pierson, M. Snell): To postpone the cost of living increase for one year.

Executive Director: D. Croser discussed the active work of the Consortium for Citizens With Disabilities in the reauthorization of the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Act. The specific guiding principles for act are included in the Board mailing.

Assembly of Regions: M. Yeager has received some e-mails on the name change.

Conference of Divisions: D. Rotholz remarked that the Conference has a full agenda of issues for the Orlando meeting.

New Business

Health Promotion and Prevention Committee White Paper: D. Coulter reported on the white paper on newborn screening that was developed by the committee. This paper will be posted in the reading room on the website when it is finalized. R. Luckasson recommended it include a paragraph about how this paper connects with the 10th edition on terminology and classification. The Board will look to endorsing the final version.

Annual Report to the Board: Recommendations from the Annual Report to the Board were reviewed. There was particular focus on three areas. (a) S. Warren expects to see massive budget cuts in state funding of services for people with developmental disabilities. This will affect quality of life in communities and in education these next few years. This will have a ripple effect on the finances of our Association. The Board needs to discuss where we want to invest money to grow and develop along with where we want to make budget cuts. (b) D. Croser discussed the need to organize our intellectual capital to focus on one or two critical topics to make a substantive contribution to the field. The Association would organize around this issue with white papers and training. This should be discussed at the Board meeting in Orlando. (c) D. Rotholz recommended getting information from the states on the most pressing issues to be addressed by the Association nationally. This could be coordinated by the Conference and the Assembly.

Thank you: S. Warren was thanked by the Board for all his work this year, including addressing the issue of the name change.

Adjournment

M/S/P (D. Rotholz, N. Ross): To adjourn the meeting at 2:16 p.m. (EDT).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMR

Secretary–Treasurer