Executive Committee Conference Call August 16, 2004

Opening

The meeting was called to order at 1:05 p.m. (EDT) on Monday, August 16, 2004, by President David Coulter.

Attendance

Members Present—David Coulter, President; Valerie Bradley, President-Elect; Hank Bersani, Vice President; Joanna Pierson, Secretary/ Treasurer; Mark Yeager, Conference of Professional Interests; Nancy Kirchner, Assembly of Geographic Interests. National Staff Present—M. Doreen Croser, Ana Montoulieu, Paul Aitken. Guest Present—Ann Turnbull, Past President.

Association Business

Financial Status Discussion

Joanna Pierson reported that the Association will take out a loan later and for less money than last year. The one concern is the SIS income projection. The problem is not the sales, but rather the high income projection in the first year of the publication. This should suggest lessons for future years budgeting. Membership is slightly low. There was discussion of the need for leaders to contact non-renewed members. We are continuing to better our financial picture.

Reorganization Plan Implementation

David Coulter reported that the response to his letter on the reorganization plan was primarily positive. He received some ideas and questions. Mark Yeager has created an action plan and a Question and Answer Sheet that clarifies the questions that have been posed to date, and the details of the process for starting a new group. The next step is to have this information on the website and communicate more about the details to the membership of the Association.

Strategic Plan

Valerie Bradley has noted where we are with all components of the current strategic plan. Hank Bersani will send a proposed plan so that the Executive Committee can comment before it is distributed to the Board for the September meeting.

MidWinter Leadership Meeting

This will be held at the Crystal City Hyatt the last weekend in January 2005. It will focus on the reorganization and how to implement it. The Executive Committee will hold a Retreat in March to act on what happens at the MidWinter Leadership Meeting.

Awards in 2005

We will continue to present awards. For the 2005 Summit this will happen on the day before the full summit meeting. One idea is to have a cocktail reception the night before so that many people are able to attend. We will need a sponsor for this type of event.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2:03 p.m. (EDT).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMR

Secretary/Treasurer

Board of Directors Conference Call September 20, 2004

Opening

The meeting was called to order at 1:04 p.m. (EDT) on Monday, September 20, 2004, by President David Coulter.

Attendance

Members present—David Coulter, president; Valerie Bradley, president-elect; Hank Bersani, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; Sharon Coutryer; Susan Foley; Richard Garnett; William Gaventa; Susan Havercamp; Robert Horner; Nancy Kirchner; Yves Lachapelle; Wendy Nehring; Timothy Shriver; Wayne Silverman; Mark Yeager. Members absent—Ann Turnbull, past president; Joan Nyala Cooper; Elizabeth Obermayer; Neil Ross. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Ana Montolieu.

Acceptance of Minutes

J. Pierson presented the minutes. She thanked N. Kirchner for taking the minutes at the July Board of Directors meeting.

M/S/P (H. Bersani, S. Foley): To accept the July 19, 2004, Board of Directors Meeting minutes

M/S/P (W. Nehring, N. Kirchner): To accept the August 16, 2004, Executive Committee meeting minutes.

Business

July 2004 Financial Statements

J. Pierson reported that the financial status remains essentially the same as in the last financial report to the Board.

Reorganization Update and Next Steps

H. Bersani will draft the next letter to the membership on the reorganization plan. M. Yeager reported that the changes to the Constitution and Bylaws necessitated by the reorganization plan have been drafted. There was discussion of the rewording of the Purposes section of the Constitution. D. Croser, V. Bradley, W. Gaventa, and W. Nehring will finalize these changes to be presented to the Board members, who agreed to meet every month. The Board meeting will substitute for the Executive Committee meeting starting in December 2004.

Disaster Relief Efforts

R. Garnett reported on the disaster relief efforts to Florida and other areas. The Board asked him to send a solicitation e-mail to all members requesting their support in these efforts.

Physician Assisted Suicide Position Statement Discussion

D. Coulter led a discussion about the Physician Assisted Suicide Position Statement of The Arc and whether AAMR wants to sign on to this position statement. The Board agreed that D. Coulter will write a position statement based on end of life care and people with cognitive impairments having the choices that everyone else has.

Data-Sharing Draft Policy

R. Horner presented the data-sharing policy, noting that although AAMR's journals utilize the APA standards for sharing raw data, there is no way to enforce this provision in the AAMR journals. The data-sharing policy would allow for possible penalties. There was much discussion and a decision to vote by e-mail on the motion.

M/S/P (R. Horner, W. Silverman): That AAMR adopt the proposed data-sharing policy with the change in it that the names of offending authors will not be published.

Additional Business

The Board agreed to discuss the remainder of the agenda on its next conference call.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2:19 p.m. (EDT).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMR

Secretary/Treasurer

Executive Committee Conference Call October 18, 2004

Opening

The meeting was called to order at 1:07 p.m. (EDT) on Monday, October 18, 2004, by President David Coulter.

Attendance

Members present—David Coulter, president; Hank Bersani, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; Nancy Kirchner, Assembly of Geographic Interests. Members absent: Valerie Bradley, president-elect; Mark Yeager, Conference of Professional Interests. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Ana Montoulieu.

Business

Financial Status Report

J. Pierson reported that the Association will be borrowing $25,000 more than projected last month: $125,000 instead of $100,000. The group discussed the Supports Intensity Scale (SIS) budget projections compared to sales. There was a discussion of the rebates to Divisions, Special Interest Groups (SIGs), Regions, and Chapters. There is no money for rebates this year unless AAMR borrows money. The group felt that there still was a moral obligation to Divisions and SIGs because membership registrations collected money for this. The need for more conservative projections on new products in future budgets was recommended. On the November Board of Directors Conference Call, there will be a further discussion about finances, including linking funding to activities for groups within the Association to specific action plans that they propose.

M/S/P (J. Pierson, H. Bersani): To release the $5.00 rebate per member of a Division or Special Interest Group (SIG) to that specific Division or Special Interest Group to reimburse for costs generated.

Reorganization Update

H. Bersani's letter will go to the Executive Committee this week for review. Ballots will go out the first week in November. No letters will go out after the ballots are mailed.

MidWinter Leadership Meeting

The group reviewed the tentative agenda from D. Croser. The primary goal of the meeting is to implement the reorganization proposal. On Friday, there will be a speaker from 10:30 a.m.–12:00 p.m. on how to increase members, sell products, and conduct meetings and seminars. The Assembly and Conference members will meet in the afternoon to discuss how to reorganize their groups. On Saturday, the leadership will generate creative ideas on membership. This will start with a report from the Membership Committee Chairs Bernard Wagner and Sharon Gomez, followed by discussion groups, which will then report back to the larger group. In the afternoon there will be a discussion on possible structures for focus groups and committees. There will be an intensive update and discussion at Friday lunch on SIS and other publications. The discussion about a 2007 annual meeting will occur in the months after the MidWinter Leadership Meeting. D. Croser will circulate the working agenda for comment.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2:05 p.m. (EDT).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMR

Secretary/Treasurer

Board Of Directors Conference Call November 15, 2004

Opening

The meeting was called to order at 1:07 p.m. (EST) on Monday, November 15, 2004, by President David Coulter.

Attendance

Members present—David Coulter, president; Valerie Bradley, president-elect; Hank Bersani, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; Ann Turnbull, past president; Joan Nyala Cooper; Sharon Coutryer; Susan Foley; Richard Garnett; William Gaventa; Susan Havercamp; Robert Horner; Nancy Kirchner; Yves Lachapelle; Wendy Nehring; Wayne Silverman; Mark Yeager. Members absent—Liz Obermayer, Neil Ross, Timothy Shriver. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Paul Aitken, Bruce Appelgren, Ana Montoulieu.

Business

Acceptance of Minutes

J. Pierson presented the minutes.

M/S/P (W. Gaventa, S. Coutryer): To accept the September 20, 2004, Board of Directors Meeting minutes.

M/S/P (N. Kirchner, H. Bersani): To accept the October 18, 2004, Executive Committee meeting minutes.

September 2004 Financial Statements

J. Pierson reported that the financial situation is similar to that reported in September. She expressed concern because this is projected to be a break-even year, when it was budgeted originally with a surplus. She noted that next year is a year that we have to move forward in raising new monies. Reducing staff makes no sense because staff are already stretched in terms of the work they must do. It is the Board of Directors' responsibility to resolve this issue. It was agreed that each Board meeting will have a discussion about ideas for increasing the Association's revenues. Ideas suggested during this conference call included having topic specific trainings, such as the very successful health-specific training that was developed by Wendy Nehring for the day before the conference in Philadelphia; developing a training company that utilizes the talents of the members; certification training for specific groups; training through webcasts; and SIS training. Some zero coupon bonds owned by AAMR are now due. AAMR is able to reinvest these rather than cashing them in for the funds. This is a significant step forward for AAMR in terms of financial success.

M/S/P (J. Pierson, H. Bersani): To re-invest the $43,000 proceeds from the matured zero coupon bonds in new zero coupon bonds that yield 4.73% and mature on November 15, 2017, at the value of $79,000.

APRAIS Statement Discussion

R. Horner presented Rud Turnbull's comments on AAMR's joining the Alliance to Prevent Restraint, Aversive Interventions, and Seclusion. There was discussion about the desire to join the alliance, and the specific concerns related to some of the positions taken by the group. After much discussion, it was decided that R. Horner, A. Turnbull, D. Coulter, and D. Croser will act as a committee to review AAMR's current policy on behavioral supports, recommending revisions to the policy, and specifics related to AAMR membership in APRAIS for a vote at the Board's December conference call.

Adaptive Behavior Scale Revision

R. Horner reported that the committee is addressing the Board of Director's concerns about looking at the instrument's cultural sensitivity as it is designed. They are looking for funding to complete the validity studies.

Membership Committee Update and Young Professional/Student Membership Ideas

S. Havercamp reported that the committee is looking at several ideas, including collapsing all membership categories, allowing members to select different benefits (e.g., one journal), increasing dues, and corporate membership for university departments. They are recommending there be a check box on the membership form where new members can ask for a mentor who will mentor them in negotiating with AAMR. A check box for donating to scholarships for students to attend the AAMR conference, similar to that now on the conference registration form for self-advocates, will be added to the 2006 Montreal Conference flyer. There was discussion about training on webcasts, publishing, grant writing, and preparing a presentation for a conference as benefits for members.

ARICEPT Issue

W. Silverman discussed his concerns about the need for a professional review of research information that appears in the AAMR newsletter. He and Wendy Nehring will coordinate the development of a caveat list of what staff should look for when reviewing research to be published in the newsletter. An AAMR Research Committee could serve a review function in the future.

Hurricane Relief Update

R. Garnett described the AAMR support of the hurricane relief efforts, which were coordinated through The Arc of Florida. AAMR members have donated to this effort based on his appeal through the e-mail network. R. Garnett will write about this in the next AAMR newsletter.

Atkins Supreme Court Decision

R. Garnett expressed concern that courts, judges, and lawyers involved in death penalty cases are confused and have misconceptions about the AAMR definition of mental retardation. The Board agreed that a new committee of lawyers and experts in the definition of mental retardation should be formed to work on this issue. Names of suggested members should be sent to D. Croser and D. Coulter.

2006 Montreal Annual Meeting

Y. Lachapelle discussed preparations for this conference. Since signing the hotel contract, he has written to other organizations about holding their meetings the day before the conference. Four have agreed to date. AAMR Region X is involved in the conference.

Declaration of the Americas on Developmental Disabilities

V. Bradley referred the Board of Directors to a mailing of this declaration, recommending that AAMR consider endorsing it at the January Board of Directors meeting.

Additional Business

The Board agreed to discuss the remainder of the agenda on its next conference call.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2:19 p.m. (EST).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMR

Secretary/Treasurer