Board of Directors Meeting September 20, 2005

Opening

The meeting was called to order at 7:10 p.m. (EDT) on Tuesday, September 20, 2005, by President Valerie Bradley.

Attendance

Members present—Valerie Bradley, president; Hank Bersani, president-elect; David Rotholz, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; David Coulter, past president; Sharon Gomez; Susan Havercamp; Sidney Katz; Diane Morin; Wendy Nehring. Members absent—Timothy Shriver. Wayne Silverman. Mark Yeager. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Maria Alfaro, Bruce Appelgren, Michele Gagnon, Betty Margallo, Ana Montoulieu, Anna Prabhala, Paul Aitken. Guest— Cathy Ficker Terrill.

Business

Identifying Strategic Goals

V. Bradley led a discussion about strategic goals. The four selected were empowering the grassroots; disseminating practical information through training; aligning mission, identification, and name through discussions with the membership; and assisting the next generation of leaders. The importance of the website for sharing action plans and other activities quickly and simply was discussed as was implementing practical trainings and web casts this next year. This will include training for new leaders. D. Croser described new publications that will support AAMR's mission.

Self-Advocacy Ad Hoc Committee

S. Katz agreed to reestablish the Ad Hoc Committee on Self-Advocacy.

Future Annual Meetings

The Board discussed future annual meetings, agreeing that they should be theme-based, balance practical information and research information, address concerns about cost and value for the price, and encourage debating of ideas. A request for proposals will be developed for Regions or other groups to host the annual meetings.

Action Plans

The Board of Directors voted to accept the Psychology Division Action Plan, the Tracking and Understanding Implications of the Medicare Drug Benefit on Dually Eligible Persons With Developmental and/or Intellectual Disabilities Action Plan from Michael Cheek, and the Family/Individual Control of Budgets and Supports Community of Action Plan from Ann Turnbull.

Hurricane Katrina Relief

It was decided to give donated monies to the Power of One Campaign this year to the Mississippi Chapter of AAMR and the Louisiana OCDD.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 8:58 p.m. (EDT).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMR

Secretary/Treasurer

Board of Directors Conference October 17, 2005

Opening

The meeting was called to order at 1:02 p.m. (EDT) on Monday, October 17, 2005, by President Valerie Bradley.

Attendance

Members present—Valerie Bradley, president; Hank Bersani, president-elect; David Rotholz, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; David Coulter, past president; Sharon Gomez; Susan Havercamp; Diane Morin; Wendy Nehring; Timothy Shriver; Wayne Silverman; Mark Yeager. Member absent—Sidney Katz. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Maria Alfaro. Guest— Steven Warren.

Business

Acceptance of Minutes

J. Pierson presented the minutes from the last Board of Directors meeting.

M/S/P (S. Gomez, W. Nehring): To accept the September 20, 2005, Board of Directors meeting minutes.

August 2005 Financial Statements

J. Pierson noted that a deficit for this year is still expected. There was discussion about the need for redesigning the website when money is available.

Zero Coupon Bond Motion

The Board discussed what to do with the zero coupon bonds that mature in November 2005.

M/S/P (J. Pierson, H. Bersani): To utilize the monies from the maturing zero coupon bonds for the implementation of the SIS Business Plan, holding these monies in money market funds until they are needed for this project.

Report on Disability Summit and Retreat

V. Bradley and H. Bersani represented AAMR at the Saturday retreat with leaders of the sponsoring organizations. The group discussed the votes that occurred at the Summit, using these to design principles and mandates. These are on the AAMR website through a link to the Alliance website. The votes made clear participants' concerns about labels and language.

Discussion on Annual Meeting Priorities

V. Bradley led a discussion about activities on each of the four priorities agreed to at the Annual Meeting. (a) Empowering the grassroots: The group discussed how to support the strategic objective of getting members involved in activities of the Association. To encourage people to provide action plans, an ad hoc committee will be formed to think about structures and actions to encourage activities by members. In addition, current workgroups will be posted on the website. V. Bradley will send a list for comment to the Board, and these will be included in her letter to the membership. (b) Training initiative: It was agreed that AAMR is looking at skill-based training. Training on health issues is one possible topic. It was agreed to look at conducting training regionally, having a Region or State Chapter work collaboratively with the national leadership. H. Bersani will ask the Regions and Chapters and membership in general what programs would be useful as well as what the important issues are for training topics. The Board will review in the future whether this is a viable strategic priority. (c) New leadership: J. Pierson will convene a group including Susan Havercamp, Sharon Gomez, and a student to address this issue. (d) Mission and ID: This is not simply an organizational name change but a discussion about how it impacts what AAMR does as an organization. We think that most members work with people who have developmental disabilities, but we agree that we need to get a sense of the membership on this. V. Bradley will send a letter to the membership seeking nominations on possible names.

As part of the discussion, Past President Steven Warren was asked to speak about the history of the name change issue. He described the work of a multi-organizational group on the term mental retardation. Their primary worry was the protection of the term mental retardation in federal legislation. They did feel that the use of the term in other ways was problematic. The group decided on the term intellectual disabilities for the name because it is used internationally. As everyone remembers, this name was defeated by the membership.

Montreal 2006 Conference

D. Morin reported that proposals for papers and posters are due November 14. The day preceding the conference is the AAMR day. She will look into the possibility of scheduling workshops for this day as well. They have met with the Canadian consulate and are seeking support for translation and for stipends for people from developing nations. They are looking into addressing problems that people with disabilities may have in crossing the Canadian/United States border. A budget request for the Montreal Conference will be discussed at next Board meeting after the Board reviews the budget for the conference.

Mid-Winter Leadership Meeting

This meeting will be used to discuss the four strategic objectives. There was discussion about various possible speakers, including a community organizer. There also will be a session on how to prepare action plans. The meeting starts at 2:00 p.m. on Friday.

Liaison to Awards and Fellowship Committee

V. Bradley appointed H. Bersani to serve as liaison to this committee.

Terminology and Classification Committee

R. Schalock wants the agreement of the Board that the committee can discuss the name mental retardation. Any changes will come back to the Board for approval. M. Yeager will be the Board liaison to the committee.

SIS Report

D. Croser will send a written report on the SIS to the Board.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2:51 p.m. (EDT).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMR

Secretary/Treasurer