Board of Directors Conference Call November 21, 2005

Opening

The meeting was called to order at 1:06 p.m. (EST) on Monday, November 21, 2005, by President Valerie Bradley.

Attendance

Members present—Valerie Bradley, president; Hank Bersani, president-elect; David Rotholz, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; David Coulter, past president; Sharon Gomez; Susan Havercamp; Sidney Katz; Diane Morin; Wendy Nehring; Wayne Silverman; Mark Yeager. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Maria Alfaro. Member absent—Timothy Shriver.

Business

Acceptance of Minutes

J. Pierson presented the minutes from the last Board of Directors meeting.

M/S/P (H. Bersani, S. Havercamp): To accept the October 17, 2005, Board of Directors meeting minutes.

September 2005 Financial Statements

J. Pierson noted that the deficit for this year is lower than we expected. There was significant concern raised about the Alliance for Full Participation Summit generating a deficit, particularly in light of the huge turnout for the conference.

Mid-Winter Leadership Meeting

V. Bradley reviewed the agenda and asked for ideas from the Board members for revisions. A report on the current action group projects will be made available at the Mid-Winter Meeting. A community organizer, Kevin Gottlieb, will present to the group.

Katrina Relief Fund Disbursement

D. Croser reported that the funds collected will be distributed equally to the agencies in Louisiana and Mississippi that the Board approved in September. She noted that more funds may come in with membership renewals for 2006. This will be very helpful because longer term needs are beginning to surface.

Evidence-Based Practice

Board members discussed current work in various disciplines related to evidence-based practice. H. Bersani will draft an action plan regarding evidence-based practice.

Action Plans Submitted for Board Approval

The Board of Directors reviewed action plans submitted recently. These were from the Legal Process and Advocacy Division, Sid Katz to develop an Advocacy Advisory and Organizing Committee, and a grassroots social recreation group from the upper Cape Cod area to develop the “Plan-It Network.” All were approved by the Board with no changes or questions for the groups submitting these action plans.

Montreal 2006 Conference

D. Morin reported that the conference is being extremely well-received, with more than 300 abstracts from 21 countries for paper presentations and 50 abstracts for poster presentations received by the deadline.

AAMR Name Change Report

V. Bradley reported that the responses that she has received to date for a proposed change in the Association's name have been positive.

Conference Futures Committee Report

D. Rotholz reported that the Committee has had one conference call and will have its second prior to the December Mid-Winter Leadership Meeting when a full report will be given. The committee is drafting an RFP for future conferences.

Secretary's Minutes

These were taken with the assistance of Board member W. Nehring because J. Pierson needed to leave before the end of the conference call.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2:08 p.m. (EST).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMR

Secretary/Treasurer

Board of Directors Meeting December 4, 2005

Opening

The meeting was called to order at 8:17 p.m. (EST) on Sunday, December 4, 2005, by President Valerie Bradley.

Attendance

Members present—Valerie Bradley, president; Hank Bersani, president-elect; David Rotholz, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; David Coulter, past president; Sharon Gomez; Susan Havercamp; Sidney Katz; Diane Morin; Wendy Nehring; Wayne Silverman; Mark Yeager. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Maria Alfaro. Member absent—Timothy Shriver. Guest—Sidney Blanchard.

Acceptance of Minutes

Joanna Pierson presented the minutes from the last Board of Directors meeting.

M/S/P (S. Gomez, H. Bersani): To accept the November 21, 2005, Board of Directors meeting minutes.

Business

AAMR Proposed 2006 Budget

J. Pierson reviewed the proposed budget, noting that it is basically a break-even budget. It does not include Region and Chapter rebates and website overhaul, which will be reviewed as more funds are available. H. Bersani reviewed the Montreal Conference budget and Board members agreed to assist in locating sponsorships and exhibitors.

V. Bradley appointed an Ad Hoc Committee to look at possible funding sources for the ABAI Project and other future projects. She appointed S. Blanchard, J. Pierson, H. Bersani, and H. Baker to serve on this committee. The Board agreed that a market study should be implemented for the ABAI.

Awards and Fellowship Committee

H. Bersani reported on the Awards and Fellowship recommendations of the committee. A final decision by the Board was deferred until the December Board of Directors conference call. The committee is discussing adding additional awards.

CARF Request

CARF sent a letter to AAMR soliciting its participation in its newly created structure for a $1,000 payment.

M/S/P (S. Gomez, D. Rotholz): To decline CARF's offer to participate in its new structure.

Institute of Medicine Request

D. Croser reported on a request from the Institute of Medicine, which is conducting a study of disabilities. V. Bradley will involve various AAMR members with expertise in the areas of the report to compile AAMR's information response. D. Coulter noted that the information from the earlier report of this group was used in drafting the 1992 Terminology and Classification Manual.

Common Principles Statement

D. Coulter reviewed a statement of common principles on life-sustaining care and treatment of people with disabilities. The AAMR is being asked to sign on to this statement.

M/S/P (D. Coulter, M. Yeager): To endorse the statement of common principles on life-sustaining care and treatment of people with disabilities.

Alliance for Full Participation—Next Steps

The Board of Directors supported the MidWinter Leadership Meeting discussion in response to the Alliance's letter to each of its member groups. The letter sent to the Alliance detailing this will be posted on the AAMR website.

Conference Futures Committee Report

D. Rotholz presented a draft RFP for the 2007 and future conferences. The RPF would be distributed to AAMR Regions and Chapters, which would be encouraged to develop collaborations with other groups in hosting the conference.

M/S/P (H. Bersani, S. Gomez): To endorse the content of the RFP and to have the group work with the AAMR national office to convert the information into a traditional AAMR RFP format.

MidWinter Leadership Meeting Outcomes and Next Steps

Each group's reports will be available shortly. For the AAMR name change, the Board of Directors agreed to keep American Association and have a choice on the ballot in terms of some combination of intellectual disabilities and developmental disabilities. There will be conference calls over the next couple of months to explore this issue. The ballots will have not only a choice of names but include statements on the implications of each of the choices. The decision will be based on allowing members to rank the names in order of preference.

M/S/P (V. Bradley, J. Pierson): To grant AAMR staff members an extra day off this holiday season.

AAMR New Structure Implementation Manual

M. Yeager is sending information on the leadership job descriptions to people in those positions for their additions and comments.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 11:51 a.m. (EST).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMR

Secretary/Treasurer

Board of Directors Conference Call December 19, 2005

Opening

The meeting was called to order at 1:02 p.m. (EST) on Monday, December 19, 2005, by President Valerie Bradley.

Attendance

Members present—Valerie Bradley, president; Hank Bersani, president-elect; David Rotholz, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; David Coulter, past president; Sharon Gomez; Susan Havercamp; Sidney Katz; Diane Morin; Wendy Nehring; Wayne Silverman; National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Maria Alfaro. Member absent—Timothy Shriver, Mark Yeager.

Acceptance of Minutes

J. Pierson presented the minutes from the last Board of Directors meeting.

M/S/P (S. Gomez, W. Nehring): To accept the December 4, 2005, Board of Directors Meeting minutes.

Financial Statements

J. Pierson reported that the financial status of the Association remains the same as last month, with a slight surplus for this year anticipated.

2006 Proposed Projects Budget Priorities

After discussion, the Board agreed not to operate at a deficit to fund the priorities, but to discuss the priorities of web page overhaul and Region and Chapter rebates when the Association has a surplus. The Board believes AAMR must build a variety of projects to continue our success as an organization. To fund these, we need to locate seed monies for their development.

M/S/P (J. Pierson, H. Bersani): To borrow $10,000 from reserves to continue the ABAI development process contingent on a work plan from the ABAI Committee.

Alliance Response Letter

D. Croser reviewed the letter to be sent to the Alliance sponsoring organizations. The letter was discussed and approved with the addition of information about how AAMR's journals and environmental initiative support the Alliance efforts.

Alliance Action Plan Letter

V. Bradley presented the letter that she will send to the membership. It was discussed and approved.

Nominations and Elections Committee

D. Coulter reported that the committee will have a conference call in early January. Priorities for candidates for the Board of Directors include people who provide organizational continuity, are new leadership, bring multiple talents, and are willing to devote the time required to move the Association forward.

Action Plans

D. Rotholz reviewed the Action Plans of the DSP Advocacy Group from a group wanting to organize the Direct Support Professionals in Maine and of the Social Work Division. Both were accepted by the Board of Directors. The DSP Advocacy Group will be asked to speak with members who have been active in the Direct Support Professional Division in the past. The Board will review the proposed activities of this group when they request specific monies.

The Board discussed how to communicate with Divisions, SIGS, Regions, and Chapters that have not yet submitted Action Plans. D. Rotholz will write a letter to send to the past few presidents of Divisions and SIGs about creating an Action Plan.

Mission/ID

The Board discussed the importance of communication with groups of AAMR members through conference calls and e-mails about members' thoughts about the name change. V. Bradley proposed sending a blast e-mail that AAMR will be sponsoring a conference call for members only to call in and express their opinions about proposed new names for the Association. The Board will hold three conference calls on January 13, 20, and 27 from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. EST that will each have at least three Board members in attendance.

Awards and Fellowship Committee

H. Bersani discussed the report of the committee. The Board approved several individuals to become Fellows in the Association.

M/S/P (W. Nehring, D. Rotholz): To accept the fellows proposed by the Awards and Fellowship Committee.

Montreal Conference

D. Morin reported that they will be selecting proposals for speakers and poster sessions by the end of December. The preliminary program will be sent to AAMR members. Papers have been submitted from 27 different countries.

Next Presidential Advisor

B. Carabello has agreed to be the Presidential Advisor for H. Bersani next year.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2:20 p.m. (EST).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMR

Secretary/Treasurer