December 4, 2005

The following motion regarding the 2006 budget was omitted from these minutes, which were published in the December 2006 issue.

M/S/P (W. Nehring, W. Silverman): To accept the proposed 2006 budget.

Board of Directors Conference Call January 23, 2006

Opening

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m. (EDT) on Monday, January 23, 2006, by President Valerie Bradley.

Attendance

Members present—Valerie Bradley, president; Hank Bersani, president-elect; David Rotholz, vice president; David Coulter, past president; Sharon Gomez; Sidney Katz; Diane Morin; Wendy Nehring. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Maria Alfaro, Paul Aitken. Members absent—Joanna Pierson, Secretary/Treasurer; Susan Havercamp; Timothy Shriver; Wayne Silverman; Mark Yeager.

Business

Acceptance of Minutes

S. Gomez for J. Pierson presented the minutes from the last Board of Directors meeting.

M/S/P (H. Bersani, D. Rotholz): Unanimously to accept the December 19, 2005, Board of Directors meeting minutes.

Treasurer's Report

D. Croser reporting for J. Pierson stated we should end the year slightly in the black with a $37,000.00 gain due to the state of Georgia adopting the SIS. Several other states are moving closer to signing on SIS.

Student Member Recruitment

M/S/P (H. Bersani, D. Rotholz) To underwrite costs of conference calls plus the costs of a CD and tape to support the work of this subcommittee.

AAMR Student Membership Application

Currently, there is a requirement that a student advisor verifies that the person is a full time student. We will now ask students to tell us who their advisor is. The student application will also list the professional interests, and students can give $10 to support the work of that professional interest. No motion needed on application.

Health and Wellness Action Group

D. Rotholz reported they are proposing a series of action steps to include conference calls and breakfast at the annual meeting. They are not asking for additional money; but plan to use money from Medicine and Nursing Divisions. The two co-chairs of this group are the chairs of the divisions, respectively. It was recommended that clarification on whether these divisions will morph into the action group model is needed. D. Rotholz will communicate to the co-chairs that the Board will look forward to hearing from them on their future plans. Funds will not be released until the projects are completed and the receipts are turned in. The Action Plan for the Health and Wellness group was accepted.

High School and Beyond Forum

D. Rotholz reported this group is proposing hosting an event to provide information to consumers of services from the vendors of those services. They are asking for some unspecified amount of money. It was recommended that because this appears to be a local project the group should pursue local sponsorship. The Board recommends no action.

Humanist Special Interest Group

D. Rotholz reported that this group is proposing to have a web site with relevant links and, essentially, become a special interest group. The Board does not encourage formation of special interest groups but, instead, suggests use of the action group model. The Board recommended tabling the action plan until we get further information.

Goodman Case

D. Croser reported on this Supreme Court Case involving a person in prison who was immobile and could not access his bed. There was a unanimous decision in the Supreme Court in our favor.

Clark v. Arizona

D. Croser reported on this case involving a 17-year-old convicted of first degree murder. Jim Ellis asked AAMR to sign on to an Amicus Brief in this case. The brief would begin with an explanation of mental retardation and what we know about prosecutions of defendants with mental retardation for serious crimes. It would then stress the history of recognizing the relevance of intellectual disability to an individual's criminal guilt. (Anglo-American historical antecedents and traditions have been particularly important in Due Process and Eighth Amendment cases in this area.)

The brief would also recognize the substantial latitude that the Court has extended to states in fashioning the rules concerning criminal responsibility, but would assert that substantial injustice could result, particularly for defendants with mental retardation, if the states were now told that they are free to reject any consideration of an individual's disability before convicting and sentencing him or her to harsh punishment. The overwhelming majority of Board members voted to join the case after considering Jim Ellis's previous memo. Once the brief is supplied, we are to read it and if we have any objections to affirming the decision to join in the case we are to notify D. Croser.

Nominations and Elections Committee

D. Coulter reported that the committee met by conference call on January 2, 2006, and selected the following candidates for inclusion on the ballot: (a) for vice president: Wendy Nehring and Steve Eidelman; (b) for board member: Carolyn Graff and Michael Wehmeyer; and (c) for the Awards and Fellowship Committee, the decision on appointments to the committee was postponed.

Conference Calls on Name Change

H. Bersani and D. Rotholz reported on the first two of these calls and the third is to be held on January 27, 2006. The number one priority for the conference call in February will be the format for voting on the name change.

2006 Annual Meeting Update and Discussion of AAMR Day Agenda

D. Morin reported that the preprogram is almost done. There is a problem with on-line registration, but it should be available this week. On Tuesday evening for the Awards Ceremony, there will be a reception between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. It was suggested and decided that we should organize something with the other organizations. There will be an International Welcome reception beginning at 6 p.m. It was suggested that because Michael Smull is one of our awardees that he could do the kick-off to the day. It was recommended that Board Members send in recommended agenda items for AAMR Day.

SIGS and Divisions

D. Rotholz sent a letter to each of these that have not submitted action plans inquiring about their interest in doing so. He received about three or four responses. There is an action plan coming in from the Gerontology Division.

2007 Annual Meeting/RFP Process Update

D. Rotholz reported that he sent a letter to all regions and chapters regarding the RFP Process for the 2007 Annual meeting and received one or two inquiries. There will be a conference call on Thursday, February 16th for people who are interested in submitting an RFP.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2:20 p.m. (EST).

Respectfully submitted,

Sharon Gomez

Board Member

Board of Directors Conference Call February 27, 2006

Opening

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 1:06 p.m. (EST) on Monday, February 27, 2006, by President Valerie Bradley.

Attendance

Members present—Valerie Bradley, president; Hank Bersani, president-elect; David Rotholz, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; Susan Havercamp; Sidney Katz; Diane Morin; Wendy Nehring; Timothy Shriver; Wayne Silverman; Mark Yeager. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Maria Alfaro. Members absent—David Coulter, past president; Sharon Gomez.

Business

Acceptance of Minutes

J. Pierson thanked S. Gomez for taking the minutes from the last Board of Directors conference call.

M/S/P (M. Yeager, D. Rotholz): To accept the January 23, 2006, Board of Directors meeting minutes, with one changes (listing Susan Havercamp as absent)

Status of the 2005 Financial Audit

D. Croser reported that the auditors will start their work next week. There is an operating surplus for 2005.

Member Conference Calls

The sense from the calls was that there is little opposition to a name change and that people were pleased to be included in the conversation. All parts of the United States were represented in the calls. There will be a ballot sent before the Montreal Conference containing a question about whether to change the name. It will include a second question that has three possible choices for a new name (intellectual disability, developmental disability, and intellectual and developmental disabilities). Members will rank order the three choices in order of preference. The ballot will contain a discussion of the reason for keeping American Association in the name, points about the usefulness and possible issues with each of these possible names, and information on the process this past year to move to the name change vote. V. Bradley will draft a document for Board members to comment on for the ballot.

2006 Annual Meeting Update

D. Morin noted that the early bird rate for the Montreal Conference has been extended through March. This information will be listed on the AAMR website. All hotel rooms are sold out and approximately 500 people have registered for the conference.

AAMR Day at the Montreal Conference Agenda

Board members discussed the agenda for the day. The morning will include an overview of the SIS and the ABAI and discussion of the name change vote results. The afternoon will showcase some Action Plans and have an Advocacy Forum, Assembly of Geographic Interests, and Conference of Professional Interests meetings. The day will end early enough for everyone to attend the International Reception at 5:30 that evening.

Action Plans Submitted for Board Approval

The Board of Directors reviewed action plans submitted recently. These were from the Families Special Interest Group, the Hurricane Katrina group, the Genetics Special Interest Group, and the Gerontology Division group. A revised plan from the Humanist group was reviewed as well. All were approved by the Board with no changes or questions for the groups submitting these action plans. Where groups have Division or Special Interest Group funds, this was noted as money that they could utilize to accomplish their action plans.

President Bush's 2007 Budget

W. Silverman expressed concern about the impact of the 2007 budget proposals on research that benefits people with developmental disabilities. The Board asked him to draft a letter to be sent by AAMR on this issue.

Aging and End of Life Conference

D. Croser reported that this is resulting in the development of a further work plan for additional activities on this issue.

2007 Annual Meeting RFP Process

D. Rotholz reported that the Committee thinks that 2007 is too soon for the RFP process to work effectively. The group also recommends that in alternating years, the conference be organized internally. The Board discussed ways to hold the 2007 Annual Meeting. Ideas about the length of the conference, the location, the theme, and invited speakers and a call for papers were discussed. D. Croser will share an RFP for hotels with V. Bradley, H. Bersani, and D. Rotholz, who will move forward as a group in discussing a date, themes, and committee members to work on the 2007 conference program and logistics. It was agreed that two separate committees are needed, one for the program and one for logistics.

M/S/P (D. Rotholz, H. Bersani): To hold an Annual Meeting in 2007.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 3:02 p.m. (EST).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMR

Secretary/Treasurer

Board of Directors Meeting May 1, 2006

Opening

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 7:06 p.m. (EDT) on Monday, May 1, 2006, by President Valerie Bradley.

Attendance

Members present—Valerie Bradley, president; Hank Bersani, president-elect; David Rotholz, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; David Coulter, past president; Sharon Gomez; Susan Havercamp; Sidney Katz; Diane Morin; Wendy Nehring; Wayne Silverman. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Paul Aitken, Maria Alfaro, Bruce Appelgren, Ana Montoulieu, Anu Prabhala, Yvette Taylor. Members absent—Timothy Shriver, Mark Yeager. Guests—Steve Eidelman, Yves LaChapelle, Chris Nadelbach, Marc Tassé, Michael Wehmeyer.

Business

Acceptance of Minutes

J. Pierson presented the minutes from the last Board of Directors conference call.

M/S/P (H. Bersani, S. Gomez): To accept the April 17, 2006, Board of Directors conference call minutes.

Montreal 2006 Conference

Yves LaChapelle announced that to date almost 900 people have registered, representing approximately 30 nations. Journalists have been notified of the conference.

Health Declaration

W. Nehring explained that the Declaration on Health Parity for Persons with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities has been revised based on comments received. A discussion of future efforts in obtaining health parity will be discussed at the Montreal conference.

March Financial Report

J. Pierson reported that the publications and journals sales are significantly above last year. Membership revenue is lower than last year, at least partially due to problems in entering the information in the membership database and the resulting inability to send reminder notices to members who have not renewed. Overall, the Association is on target with income and expenditures.

ABAI Project

Marc Tassé, the Chair of the ABAI development committee provided a presentation on how the ABAI Committee is proceeding. The ABAI is the successor to the ABS and provides diagnosis information for individuals, fitting with the AAMR definition in the Terminology and Classification Manual and the individual programming information in the Supports Intensity Scale. The Board of Directors then discussed the funding of the ABAI.

M/S/P (H. Bersani, D. Rotholz): To fund the proposed budget of the ABAI in terms of the direct costs.

Name Change for Mental Retardation

The ballot for the Association name change has been distributed. Steve Taylor, the editor of Mental Retardation proposes changing the name of the journal to Developmental Disabilities. The Board decided that the name of the journal should correspond to the decision of the membership on the specific name of the Association and that it is premature to change the name before that vote is finalized. Both journal editors will be invited to be on the June Board of Directors conference call to discuss the names of the journals.

IASSID Representative

R. Schalock is the current representative. Because of his schedule, he recommends that a new representative be elected to complete his current 2-year term. V. Bradley will appoint a new representative.

AJMR Editor

The current editor has informed AAMR that he will not continue past the expiration for his current term, which ends December 2007. A search committee will be formed.

Response to Ridicule

The Board of Directors discussed the outrageous remarks of movie director Morgan Spurlock about people with developmental disabilities. The Board decided to let the Pennsylvania AAMR Chapter know about these remarks to enable them to take action. A letter of commendation will be sent to the Hatboro-Horsham High School principal for his condemnation of these remarks.

Altoona, Pennsylvania Case

The Board discussed this court decision in Pennsylvania where a guardian was allowed to override the Commonwealth's decision to move an individual's program from an institution into a community program. Information on this decision will be discussed with Rutherford Turnbull, James Ellis, Robert Donnerstein, and Ruth Luckasson, seeking their advice on how to proceed.

2007 Annual Meeting

D. Rotholz described the process that is required for determining the specifics of holding a conference in 2007. The Board reviewed the budget and discussed the location and timeframes for the conference. There was discussion about the need to focus staff time on AAMR's other efforts and the resulting need for the volunteer leadership to handle virtually all aspects of the conference in coordination with the national office and with the assistance of contractors. The committee will meet with V. Bradley to discuss the specifics of the conference, including a theme and subthemes; a location for the conference; and a local arrangements committee. There also was discussion about holding future conferences in conjunction with the MidWinter Leadership Meeting.

2006 MidWinter Meeting Agenda

H. Bersani asked the Board members to think about the role of the MidWinter Meeting. Expanding this meeting to include leadership training was suggested.

Action Plans

H. Bersani, D. Rotholz, S. Eidelman, M. Wehmeyer, and J. Pierson will meet to discuss how to address the professional interest groups that have not submitted action plans.

Presidential Advisor

V. Bradley thanked Sidney Katz for acting as the presidential advisor this past year.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 9:10 p.m. (EDT).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson

Secretary/Treasurer

Board of Directors Conference Call May 15, 2006

Opening

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 1:04 p.m. (EDT) on Monday, May 15, 2006, by President Valerie Bradley.

Attendance

Members present—Valerie Bradley, president; Hank Bersani, president-elect; David Rotholz, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; Sharon Gomez; Susan Havercamp; Diane Morin; Mark Yeager. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Maria Alfaro, Paul Aitken. Members absent—David Coulter, past president; Sidney Katz; Wendy Nehring; Timothy Shriver; Wayne Silverman. Guests present—Steve Eidelman, Michael Levine, Michael Ocampo, Michael Wehmeyer.

Business

Acceptance of Minutes

J. Pierson presented the minutes from the last Board of Directors conference call.

M/S/P (H. Bersani, D. Rotholz): To accept the May 1, 2006, Board of Directors conference call minutes.

2005 Audit Report and Financial Statements

M. Ocampo offered congratulations on AAMR's meeting its goal of having unrestricted assets of over $1,000,000. This includes the inventory of books, equipment, and software owned by the Association. Operating income for the past 2 years has been decreasing. It is important to plan for programs that will generate additional revenues for the Association. In terms of investment, the auditors recommend that we look at replacing certain of the mutual funds with other investments. Operationally, the audit went very smoothly, with excellent support from the office staff.

M/S/P (D. Rotholz, J. Pierson): To accept the audit report.

Investments

The investment advisor, M. Levine, reported on the investments. He would like to move monies from the nonperforming funds and look at a new fund that was not available when the portfolio was put together. There were questions asked and much discussion about the specifics of the advice.

M/S/P (J. Pierson, H. Bersani): To follow the investment advice of the investment advisor.

Montreal 2006 Conference

D. Morin reported that the conference had approximately 1,000 participants. She thanked AAMR for its participation. There was media coverage of the conference from newspaper, radio, and television. The Board congratulated Y. LaChappelle and D. Morin on an excellent conference.

AJMR Editor

The committee is being formed to work on hiring a new editor when the current contract period is completed.

2007 Annual Meeting

D. Croser reported on a possible location for the conference. Because of other meetings, Atlanta, Georgia, is the preferred city. Tamar Heller has been discussing holding a related Aging Symposium in conjunction with the conference in Atlanta. D. Rotholz reported that the conference program committee will be conferring in the next few weeks to determine a theme and subthemes. They will modify past Call for Papers used by the Association. D. Croser suggested the possibility of hiring someone to assist D. Rotholz and S. Gomez in finalizing the program for the conference.

MidWinter Leadership Meeting

H. Bersani reported that the meeting will be held December 1–3. It will start midday on December 1. There was discussion about possible topics and speakers. The geographic and professional units will have time to meet as groups.

Hurricane Katrina Action Group

D. Croser reported for W. Nehring, requesting that the group be allowed to place a notice in FYI of information on services and other donations needed in the areas affected by Hurricane Katrina and having AAMR be involved in creating connections to enable these donations to reach the affected areas. Having a bulletin board on the website was discussed as a way of creating these linkages electronically. D. Croser will talk to them about a streamlined way of handling this important initiative.

Altoona Case

V. Bradley has spoken to attorneys related to this issue and will look for an attorney to write a brief on this case. The issues of not automatically being determined to need a guardian and of being allowed to live in a community are key issues that need to be supported.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2:00 p.m. (EDT).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson

Secretary/Treasurer

Board of Directors Conference Call July 17, 2006

Opening

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 1:07 p.m. (EDT) on Monday, July 17, 2006, by President Hank Bersani.

Attendance

Members present—Hank Bersani, president; Steve Eidelman, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; Valerie Bradley, past president; Bernard Carabello; Sharon Gomez; Wayne Silverman. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Maria Alfaro, Paul Aitken. Members absent— David Rotholz, president-elect; Susan Havercamp; Diane Morin; Michael Wehmeyer; Mark Yeager.

Business

Acceptance of Minutes

J. Pierson presented the minutes from the last Board of Directors conference call.

M/S/P (S. Gomez, V. Bradley): To accept the June 19, 2006, Board of Directors conference call minutes.

May Financial Statements

J. Pierson presented the financial statements. She noted that publications and subscriptions sales have increased. Membership remains an issue.

Presidential Goals for the Year

H. Bersani welcomed B. Carabello as his presidential advisor. H. Bersani wants to focus this year on who the Association is and what we do. This includes the name change, website, journals, and position statements. He discussed the need to continue to reach out to people and keep them informed of our work.

Assistive Technology Lawsuit

H. Bersani reported that an attorney contacted him about a health insurance company denying payment for communication devices for people with autism, citing AAMR authors as stating that these devices are experimental. He recommended that the attorney be in contact with the authors cited.

Position Statement on Nursing Support and Nursing Staffing

W. Nehring worked on this position statement, which provides professional guidelines. The need to have similar statements that describe professional guidelines is an important effort that will be discussed with the Divisions. Other organizations will be asked to endorse this statement. The statement will be on the web site as a tool for professional guidance.

M/S/P (S. Eidelman, S. Gomez): To approve the Position Statement on Nursing Support and Nursing Staffing.

Awards and Fellowship Committee and Nominations and Elections Committee

H. Bersani discussed these two committees that have vacancies. There was discussion of potential candidates.

Direct Support Professionals Action Plan

S. Eidelman presented the Direct Support Professionals Action Plan. It was approved by the Board of Directors.

MidWinter Meeting

H. Bersani reported that he and D. Croser have been discussing potential speakers on reinventing brands. There will be updates on where we are with various projects and a discussion on intellectual and developmental disabilities.

SIS for Children Budget Proposal

H. Bersani reported that M. Wehmeyer talked to James Thompson about determining if a larger sum would better assist the work of the group. J. Thompson believes that the budget is sufficient for now.

2007 Annual Meeting

S. Gomez reported that the group is working on the Call for Papers. M. Alfaro reported that the conference will be at the Atlanta Sheraton. The theme is supports. There will be a track for presentations not directly related to this theme. There will be poster sessions and preconference workshops as well. S. Gomez noted that it is important to raise sponsorships for any social events to be held at the conference.

Technology Action Group Update

V. Bradley has connected the Montreal Conference speaker from Intel with the Technology Action Group.

Altoona Case

V. Bradley is following up on this case.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2:27 p.m. (EDT).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson

Secretary/Treasurer

Board of Directors Conference Call August 21, 2006

Opening

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 1:06 p.m. (EDT) on Monday, August 21, 2006, by President Hank Bersani.

Attendance

Members present—Hank Bersani, president; David Rotholz, president-elect; Steve Eidelman, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; Valerie Bradley, past president; Sharon Gomez; Susan Havercamp; Diane Morin; Michael Wehmeyer; Mark Yeager. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Maria Alfaro, Paul Aitken. Members absent—Bernard Carabello, Wayne Silverman.

Business

Acceptance of Minutes

J. Pierson presented the minutes from the last Board of Directors conference call.

M/S/P (S. Gomez, D. Rotholz): To accept the July 17, 2006, Board of Directors conference call minutes.

Financial Reports and Projections

J. Pierson explained that AAMR lost $44,191 on the Montreal Conference. Most other activities are operating at a surplus. There was discussion about how to increase the revenue for conferences and decrease the expenditures to be more in line with these revenues.

Board Activities Report

D. Croser reported on staff changes, computer enhancements, web site changes, the Call for Papers for the Atlanta conference, the Governmental Affairs Seminar in March, and the work of a telemarketing firm on increasing membership. Journals and publications continue to move forward. SIS users are very satisfied, according to a survey of the users of the instrument. The Atlanta Local Arrangements Committee is meeting next week. D. Croser will move forward on locating proposals from firms on the rebranding of the Association to enable it to be completed for the January launch.

T&C Progress Report

M. Wehmeyer discussed the next edition that has been projected for 2008. Because of changes from mental retardation to intellectual disability and developmental disability and the impact of these changes, the new edition will be published in 2010. This will allow for a full discussion of these issues. An article will be published shortly in which some of these issues are discussed so that consensus on conceptual issues can be reached.

Action Plans of SIGS and Divisions

S. Eidelman presented the Action Plans of the Religion and Spirituality Division and the Creative Arts Therapy SIG. The Religion and Spirituality Division's Action Plan was approved by the Board of Directors with information being sent on the guidelines for expending membership dues. The Creative Arts Therapy SIG's Action Plan will be reviewed after they have revised their use of their proposed video.

Action Plans of Chapters and Divisions

D. Rotholz presented the action plans of the Massachusetts Chapter, the Quebec Chapter, the Michigan Chapter, the Wisconsin Chapter, the Kansas Chapter, and Region V. These action plans were all approved by the Board of Directors. The Board discussed the need for elections to be held where possible.

Student Scholarship Request

S. Havercamp represented the Student Retention and Support Committee in requesting that the student award winner be given free conference registration. This was supported by the Board.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2:02 p.m. (EDT).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson

Secretary/Treasurer