Board of Directors Conference Call October 16, 2006

Opening

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 1:01 p.m. (EDT) on Monday, October 16, 2006, by President Hank Bersani.

Attendance: Members present—Hank Bersani, president; David Rotholz, president-elect; Steve Eidelman, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; Valerie Bradley, past president; Sharon Gomez; Susan Havercamp; Diane Morin; Wayne Silverman; Michael Wehmeyer; Mark Yeager. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Maria Alfaro. Member absent—Bernard Carabello.

Business

Acceptance of Minutes: J. Pierson presented the minutes from the last Board of Directors conference call.

M/S/P (V. Bradley, M. Yeager): To accept the September 18, 2006, Board of Directors conference call minutes with changing the number of conference calls to “this year” from “the upcoming year.”

Strategic Plan Document: S. Eidelman reviewed the strategic planning process that he has proposed. He discussed a memorandum he will send to the membership about the plan.

M/S/P (D. Rotholz, S. Gomez): To endorse the strategic planning process as outlined by S. Eidelman.

August Financial Reports and Projections: J. Pierson presented the financial statements, noting that it is similar to last month. We continue to move forward with financial support to projects that we believe will have lasting benefit to the Association. As has been true in the past, incoming monies will increase in the last 2 months of the year.

Aging and End of Life Teleconference Series: D. Croser talked about the wildly successful teleconference call that started this series. Over 750 people participated. The next teleconference on dementia looks to be at least as successful in terms of attendance and content. Doreen Croser located a $1,000 grant to underwrite these calls.

Iridium Group Rebranding Project: D. Croser presented the Iridium Group timetable to the Board. Everyone is pleased with their work to date.

Update on Atlanta Conference: D. Rotholz described the work on the conference. The Call for Papers has been distributed, and the deadline is in approximately 30 days. Most of the planning for the plenary sessions has been completed. There will be a dedicated poster session. A group has been formed to complete the online review of paper submissions. The Local Arrangements Committee is meeting monthly. The Sponsorship Committee is formed. Board members were notified that they will be seeking sponsorships for the conference.

Action Plans: D. Rotholz reported on the Action Plans submitted by Tennessee, Alabama, Ohio, and Region VI. The Board voted to support the Tennessee Action Plan, with a mention that they should be thinking about holding elections as part of the plan; voted to support the Alabama Action Plan, with a note that some Board members could be of assistance in locating others to help in implementing the plan; voted to ask Region VI what specific significant activities they will have as part of their plan; and voted to support the Ohio Action Plan.

After further discussion about Action Plans, the Board agreed to several actions. H. Bersani will appoint a work group to discuss when Action groups become defunct due to lack of activity and to develop election guidelines for Action Groups. This group will get together at the MidWinter Leadership Meeting. D. Croser will send a letter to Regions and Chapters because they are incorporated and will need to do a legal change to their names to match the change to AAIDD. H. Bersani will follow this with a more general letter to these groups about action for the upcoming year.

AJMR Editor Search: W. Silverman described the search process, noting that a committee has been formed, an announcement will be sent out shortly, and the plan is to conduct interviews at the Atlanta conference. He noted that there is already interest being expressed in the position.

Hurricane Katrina Fund: V. Bradley, in response to the thank you letter from the Mississippi Chapter, suggested that she send a new solicitation letter to assist people with disabilities who experienced Hurricane Katrina.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2:09 p.m. (EDT).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMR

Secretary/Treasurer

Board of Directors Conference Call November 20, 2006

Opening

In the absence of President Hank Bersani, the meeting was called to order at 1:10 p.m. (EST) on Monday, November 20, 2006 by President-Elect David Rotholz.

Attendance: Members present—David Rotholz, president-elect; Steve Eidelman, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; Valerie Bradley, past president; Sharon Gomez; Susan Havercamp; Diane Morin; Wayne Silverman; Michael Wehmeyer. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser. Members absent—Hank Bersani, president; Bernard Carabello; Mark Yeager.

Business

Acceptance of Minutes: J. Pierson presented the minutes from the last Board of Directors conference call.

M/S/P (S. Eidelman, S. Gomez): To accept the October 16, 2006, Board of Directors conference call.

September Financial Reports and Projections: J. Pierson reported on the financial statements noting that publications, the journals, and membership are all doing well. The Association is expected to have a surplus this year.

Maturing Investment Proposal: J. Pierson discussed the proposal to move monies from a maturing zero coupon bond to a money market fund to ensure that the monies will be available as needed to fund the business plans for the SIS and ABAI.

M/S/P (S. Eidelman, S. Gomez): To re-invest the $71,000 proceeds from the matured zero coupon bonds in the more liquid Legg Mason money market fund until the funds are required for the implementation of the SIS business plan or the ABAI research and development project.

Indirect Rate Motion: The Board was asked to reaffirm a vote from last year stating that AAMR is unable to pay indirect costs.

M/S/P (S. Eidelman, W. Silverman): To support the policy statement to not pay indirect costs on Association projects and services. (The policy statement: The American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities [AAIDD] is a 501(c)3 nonprofit educational organization. Accordingly, it shall be the policy of the AAIDD not to pay indirect costs on Association projects or services. Any exception to this policy must be authorized by the AAIDD Board of Directors.)

Action Plans: S. Eidelman shared the Administration Division Action Plan. The plan was approved with the caveat that the group report back to Board of Directors by March 2007.

Terminology and Classification Committee Report: M. Wehmeyer offered to answer questions on the written report that was submitted by R. Schalock to update the Board. The committee will be meeting shortly and will have a report at the MidWinter Leadership Meeting.

Growth Attenuation Issue: There was significant concern about the practice of growth attenuation described in an article in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, suggesting that girls be treated to prevent their growth to enable parents to provide care more simply. The Board was appalled and felt that a letter should be sent to the editor of the journal to be published as a commentary. S. Eidelman will write this as well as a Perspective Column in IDD about this practice.

M/S/P (S. Eidelman, V. Bradley): To oppose this practice and direct the sending of a letter to the journal Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine condemning the growth attenuation practice.

Update on Atlanta Conference: D. Rotholz explained that the Call for Papers has been extended to after the MidWinter Meeting. This is due to some confusion by potential presenters over the requirement to submit online. The Program Committee is holding a conference call tomorrow.

Strategic Planning Update: S. Eidelman reported on the responses from the leadership on what should be in the plan. He will have a draft to the Board of Directors by next week.

Rebranding Project: D. Croser asked the Board of Directors to finalize their choice of the tag line “Knowledge—Support—Empowerment”. In addition, a logo was selected that will use lowercase letters. The group felt that the green in the letters needed to be bolder and more substantial. D. Croser will discuss this with the Iridium Group. The group will do a presentation at the MidWinter Meeting.

MidWinter Meeting Presentations: D. Rotholz has arranged for the presentations of Action Plans.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 1:47 p.m. (EST).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMR

Board of Directors Meeting (Arlington, VA) December 3, 2006

Opening

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 8:14 a.m. (EST) on Sunday, December 3, 2006, by President Hank Bersani.

Attendance: Members present—Hank Bersani, president; David Rotholz, president-elect; Steve Eidelman, vice president; Joanna Pierson, secretary/treasurer; Valerie Bradley, past president; Susan Havercamp; Diane Morin; Wayne Silverman; Michael Wehmeyer; Mark Yeager. National staff present—M. Doreen Croser, Paul Aitken, Maria Alfaro, Bruce Appelgren. Members absent—Bernard Carabello, Sharon Gomez. Guest—William Gaventa.

Business

Acceptance of Minutes: J. Pierson presented the minutes from the last Board of Directors conference call.

M/S/P (D. Rotholz, V. Bradley): To accept the November 20, 2006, Board of Directors conference call.

Staff leave: The Board expressed its appreciation for the hard work of staff this past year.

M/S/P (V. Bradley, S. Eidelman): To express it appreciation for the hard work of staff, the Board of Directors is approving a bonus holiday for 2006.

FY 2006 Budget Projections: D. Croser reported the Association is projecting a small surplus. There was discussion about possibly charging a fee in the future for the training conference calls.

Bequest Motion: J. Pierson explained that the Association has received a bequest from the estate of a parent from Arkansas, Betty Mellor. The Investment Policy states that all bequests are to be placed in the investment fund.

M/S/P (J. Pierson, W. Eidelman): To invest the $11,284 bequest from Betty Mellor and $200 from the money market fund in zero coupon bonds that will mature on November 15, 2018, at a value of $19,000 in the AAMR investment fund.

Change in Officers Motion: Because the officers of the Association regularly change through the annual election process, the banking and investment account signature cards need to be updated.

M/S/P (J. Pierson, M. Yeager): To remove V. Bradley and D. Coulter (as past presidents) from the signature cards and add D. Rotholz and S. Eidelman to reflect the current structure.

2007 Proposed Budget: J. Pierson explained the proposed budget that was developed by staff, noting that is has a slight surplus that will only exist if necessary funds are raised to cover the cost of the Atlanta Conference; this includes fundraising by the Board members. Increasing membership, locating conference sponsors, and SIS sales are all key to this budget being successful. The budget does not include the rebranding initiative, the Aging Teleconference series, and the webpage overhaul. There was discussion about looking at which journals are part of the membership. Staff will look at this and make a recommendation to the Board later this year. D. Croser was asked to bring information on how other organizations are handling the employer share of health insurance and other components of the fringe benefits package because AAMR's seems very low.

M/S/P (V. Bradley, M. Yeager): To adopt the proposed 2007 budget as presented.

M/S/P (V. Bradley, M. Wehmeyer): To set aside up to $100,000 in reserve monies to revamp the website.

Awards and Fellowship Committee: W. Silverman shared the report of the committee. Awards information was shared. Ways to increase the nominations for various award categories were discussed. It was decided that the past president will shepherd this effort on an ongoing basis. Fellows were discussed and the Board of Directors reviewed the recommendations. A committee will be appointed to look at the Fellow criteria to ensure that they include excellence in practice as well as academia criteria.

M/S/P (W. Silverman, S. Eidelman): That the immediate past president will be responsible for shepherding the nomination for awards by involving the Association's leadership.

M/S/P (W. Silverman, S. Havercamp): To provide two student scholarships and a waiver of the conference registration for two students who will receive recognition for their excellence and have each give a presentation at the conference.

M/S/P (W. Silverman, M. Wehmeyer): To promote four individuals, William MacLean, Stacey Miller, Susan Palmer, and James Thompson, to Fellow status.

M/S/P (W. Silverman, S. Eidelman): To have the guidelines for Fellow status be revisited and that the president-elect will be assigned to move this process forward.

Proposal for Early Career Award: W. Silverman explained the proposal from the Awards and Fellowship Committee to provide a new award, the Early Career Award. It will recognize people in the areas of service, leadership, policy development, and scholarship.

M/S/P (W. Silverman, V. Bradley): To create the Early Career Award as detailed in the proposal.

MR/IDD Editor Issue: S. Eidelman reported a discussion with Steve Taylor about extending his term as the Editor of the MR/IDD journal and the need to locate an editor to serve at the end of his term. The Board expressed its appreciation for S. Taylor's work on many sensitive issues.

For the AJMR editor search, there will be an announcement in the journals, in FYI, and on the website. The committee plans to interview candidates in May.

M/S/P (D. Rotholz, V. Bradley): To extend S. Taylor's term as editor of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities through December 2009.

MidWinter Leadership Meeting Outcomes and Next Steps: H. Bersani reviewed the work accomplished at the meeting. Attendees were very impressed with the work of staff and the committees of the Association, feeling that the movement forward is very promising. H. Bersani will send out information on the themes from the recommendations made by the group for moving forward on the rebranding effort.

The Board agreed that it is important for the organization to define the term developmental disabilities, both in terms of what it means for the Association and what it means for the field. An Ad Hoc Committee will be appointed to determine how the organization uses the term developmental disabilities and look to a terminology and classification type manual; the committee will work in concert with the current Terminology and Classification Committee. H. Bersani will have a conversation with R. Schalock on moving forward in this arena. The Board also discussed the political implications of the change.

Proposed 2007 Board Meeting Schedule: D. Croser shared the meeting schedule, which moves the January and February conference calls a week later because of the federal holidays on the original dates. There will be a May 14 conference call, to be reviewed at the April conference call. The meeting in Atlanta will be a 3-hour meeting starting at9:00 AM. The MidWinter Meeting will be the first weekend in December.

Atlanta Conference Update: D. Croser shared a preliminary conference schedule. D. Rotholz stated that proposal reviews will start in mid-December. The local groups have been very active in helping prepare for the conference. V. Bradley mentioned that many people felt that Las Vegas would be a good location for the 2008 conference. S. Eidelman will be the Board officer working on this conference. The current program committee will still be in place to work on this conference with him.

Action Plans: D. Rotholz shared the Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Illinois, and North Carolina Action Plans. The plans for all were approved.

In the future the Action Plan form will request information about how groups are engaged in the rebranding effort.

Growth Attenuation Issue: There was considerable discussion about the strong concerns about the practice of growth attenuation described in an article in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. The Board discussed finalizing the letter to the journal. The letter will be sent under the president's signature on behalf of the Board of Directors by the end of this week. The letter will appear on the AAMR website.

Health and Wellness Action Group: S. Eidelman shared the progress report from the Health and Wellness Action Group. The group has been working on five objectives.

Final Report on Montreal Convention: D. Morin reported on the Montreal Conference. There were 1,119 registered attendees, which included participation from 27 countries. The Board of Directors thanked D. Morin for all her work in producing this excellent conference.

History of the Field: V. Bradley reported that the library at Fernald State School in Massachusetts houses much of the history of the field, including Elizabeth Boggs and Rosemary and Gunnar Dybwad's collections. The collection currently is in a lockdown mode. Only with special academic pleading has anyone been able to access the collection. She feels that the Association should form a fact-finding group about this because of the concerns about the physical care of the collection and its importance to the field. M. Wehmeyer recommended that the Association be the group that looks to the long-term collection and preservation of materials related to the field. This includes actively looking for materials that are at risk of being lost or degraded and facilitating their proper storage. H. Bersani has 2 days of access to the materials in question and will report to the Board on his findings after he visits the collection at Fernald. The Historic Preservation Committee will be revitalized. M. Wehmeyer was asked to contact others to look to developing an Action Plan. This discussion was in the nature of an initial look at this issue.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 11:38 a.m. (EST).

Respectfully submitted,

Joanna Pierson, PhD, FAAMR

Secretary/Treasurer