Fate of aflatoxin B1 during making of Egyptian bread from whole wheat flour spiked with aflatoxin Bl (0.1 μg/g) was investigated. Determinations were made by reversed-phase high pressure liquid chromatography (HPLC) after formation of aflatoxin B2a with trifluoroacetic acid. An average of 19% of the toxin added was destroyed after preparation of fermented dough, whereas subsequent baking (350°C, 2 min) reduced the amount of toxin by an additional 36% to give a total average destruction of 55%. Thus risks remain in preparing Egyptian bread from aflatoxin-contaminated wheat flour.

This content is only available as a PDF.

Author notes

1Visiting scholar from the Department of Agricultural Industries, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt.