Implant dentists have enjoyed high success rates regarding implant survival. The survival rate for implants before loading is 97-98%. The 5-yr post-loading survival rate is 94-95% and the long-term 16-yr survival rate is 82.9%. These survival rates are remarkable, but they are not without complications. Over the 16 years of survival, the biological complication rate is 16.94% and the technical complications rate is 31.09%, for a cumulative complication rate of 48.03%.(1) Survival is defined as the implant and prosthesis being present, independent of existing biological and/or technical complications at the time of observation. However, success is defined as the implant(s) being free of any complications over the entire observation time. (2, 3) Therefore, achieving success is more challenging than survival. The 48% cumulative complication rate can become a daily annoyance for the full-time implantologist who has been placing implants for multiple years. Often the complications...

You do not currently have access to this content.