Peer Review Week 2022: Supporting Trust in Research
Peer Review Week, September 19-23, is a global annual event led by academic publishers, research institutions, scholarly societies, and researchers to recognize the important role of peer review in scholarly communication.
The theme of this year’s Peer Review Week is Research Integrity: Creating and Supporting Trust in Research, and the Editorial Team at IJPT wants to use this opportunity to emphasize our commitment to this effort.>
Our 2022 Goal
As in years past, it is our goal to foster a culture of responsible research ethics in the pursuit of excellence in scientific discovery; such an achievement will only advance the use of particle therapy in the treatment of cancer and other diseases for the benefit of patients worldwide.
Join us. Excellence in peer review ensures that together we can uphold the standards of research integrity. Peer review also depends on trust: Trust in our associate editors means they select reviewers who will provide thoughtful and constructive criticism.
By strengthening the quality of our peer review process, we ensure research integrity and, in turn, strengthen the quality of our journal and our science. Ultimately, this means the best treatment of our patients.
Research Integrity in the U.S.
In the United States, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) describes research integrity as including the following elements:
- the use of honest and verifiable methods in proposing, performing, and evaluating research;
- the reporting of research results with particular attention to adherence to rules, regulations, and guidelines; and
- adherence to commonly accepted professional codes or norms.
Yet, as an international journal, we are mindful that research regulations and research governance can vary from country to country. We also recognize that publishers have more specific concerns in mind when it comes to the reporting of scientific discovery.
Broadening Our Standards
Therefore, we broaden our standards of research ethics with the understanding that research integrity also includes:
- transparency and open communication;
- respect for the consent, privacy and confidentiality of research participants;
- minimization of research risk on individuals, communities, and environments, especially in the case of vulnerable populations;
- concern for the care and respect of all research participants;
- concern for falsification, fabrication, and plagiarism in research reporting; and
- researcher and reviewer accountability.
Research findings are used to inform public policy, determine insurance coverage, treat human and animal diseases, and inform future research. To maintain a trustworthy reputation in the research we publish, the IJPT editorial board places research ethics and integrity at the core of our mission.
We appreciate the work that our authors, reviewers, and editors do to maintain the highest peer review standards in the field of particle therapy! We are always here to assist in the peer review process - please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.